Friday, January 8, 2016

January 8, 2016

It's Friday, so today's Writer's Notebook prompt was a free entry. Students had 20 minutes to complete their entry and read independently. I'm currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I'm about halfway through, and the more I read, the more I'm angered by the lack of ethics that used to exist in the medical field. While science isn't my strongest subject, I'm still fascinated by the book.

I wrapped up a brief introduction to research by talking about plagiarism. Basically, don't copy someone else's work without giving them permission. For our research project, it will be virtually impossible for students to plagiarize because they are allowed to copy and paste direct quotes into their outlines. On research that they complete through their future academic career, students will need to be more aware of citing their evidence. Rule of thumb: when in doubt, cite it!

The research assignment is posted on Classroom. Students used class time today to begin, and we will continue working on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Students will turn in the assignment on Classroom before the end of the day Wednesday.

Today's Board

No comments:

Post a Comment