Friday, September 11, 2015

September 11, 2015

We started the day with a moment of silence to remember the tragedy that occurred on September 11, 2001. It's so strange to me to think that these sophomores I teach were still in diapers when it happened.

I had just moved to the Dallas area from Kansas that year, and it was my first year at HHS. I must have had first period conference because I stayed in the library and watched everything unfold on the TV there--I saw the second plane hit the second tower. Exactly what was happening really didn't sink in at that moment. It really looked like a movie with amazing special effects. When the realization finally came, I was overtaken with so much sadness. I spent any spare moment for the rest of the day scouring news sites, looking for answers and explanations. At the end of the day, I sat outside on the tennis court and listened to the overwhelming sound of absolutely nothing in the air. In Dallas, the skies hold at least one airplane at any given moment, and the school sits under a few flight patterns. That day, not one plane flew over. In that moment, I knew nothing would ever be the same for this country.

Back to today's recap.

Fridays are "free" days in the Writer's Notebook, so students were encouraged to write or doodle anything they needed to get out of their heads.

We returned to the Short Story Challenge activity. Students worked in groups to continue reading and tracking a literary element in four short stories. We will wrap this up on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment